CLICK ON PICTURES TO SEE FULL-SIZE
Some activities, like switching off unused mobile phone chargers, are 100x less effective than others.
There are many excellent and high-impact charities which use an effective altruism framework of scale, neglectedness, and tractability, to drive results.
This is only a small selection of charities - there are many other excellent organisations which may have a large but less clearly measurable impact.
Regular donations to highly effective charities can achieve in excess of 10,000x the impact of individual choices. The best ways to mitigate climate change are through group and network effects, analysing points of high leverage.
It may also be that there are other more promising and pressing global problems, where donors could have a higher counterfactual impact. For more details, see 80,000 Hours and their accompanying podcast for more information.
High impact charity donation options:
- Coalition for Rainforest Nations here
- Clean Air Task Force here
- Sayana Press (analysis) here
- Good Food Institute here
Other potentially good organisations working on this issue:
- Founders Pledge report https://founderspledge.com/research/fp-climate-change
- Let’s fund report on clean energy R&D https://lets-fund.org/clean-energy/
- Hewlett’s climate philanthropy strategy here
- Drawdown: https://www.drawdown.org/